The importance of maintaining your sewage treatment system
Posted: April 03, 2019
Categories: Knowledge Article
So you have a non-mains sewage treatment system in your home. Whether you have a septic tank, sewage treatment plant or cesspit, regular system maintenance will need to take place in order to prevent serious issues in the future. The financial and environmental implications of a failed system can be considerable, leaving you with an empty wallet and a big mess to clean up.
How will I know there is a problem with my system?
Although the exact nature of the problem will depend on the type of system you have, common signs that something is going wrong with it include:
• Pooling of wastewater in the area surrounding your tank/plant
• Sinks and toilets and other drains backing up in your home
• Bad odours coming from the area near your system, or from your drains
• Slow drainage
How can I prevent problems arising?
• Be aware where your tank is, and ensure it is protected. Many incidents occur where tanks are accidentally driven over and damaged, resulting in a hefty repair bill.
• Careful what you flush! Only waste water and toilet paper should be flushed down the toilet. Non-biodegradable materials can cause serious blockages in your system, making it work much less efficiently, while chemicals can kill the bacteria in your system that helps to break down waste.
• Have it serviced and emptied/de-sludged regularly to maintain optimum performance.
Maintaining your system with a servicing contract will save you money in the long run, particularly if you opt for a comprehensive plan that covers breakdowns and repairs. For an annual fee, your sewage system will get a regular service where any potential future problems can be highlighted and resolved, preventing issues in the future. In some instances, a maintenance contract also covers call-outs, meaning that if a serious issue occurs you can get help fast!
MPC provides a variety of maintenance and servicing contracts with a range of options available to suit your needs and comply with the manufacturers recomendations.
Whether you need a basic servicing package or something a bit more comprehensive, MPC Services can help.
Contact us today on 01773 767612 or firstname.lastname@example.org, we will be happy to help!